Veterinarian-recommended powdered milk replacer for nursing, orphaned or rejected foals.
- Highly digestible, whey-based proteins suited for the foal's digestive tract
- Fully-fortified to meet all of the foal’s nutritional needs
- Developed for free-choice consumption; intended to mimic the foal’s natural nursing behavior
All BUCKEYE® Nutrition products contain 100% pure, traceable ingredients that are equine-focused and made in a completely med-free facility. Learn more.
Colostrum, or first milk, contains high levels of antibodies that needs to be consumed within the first 12-24 hours. After colostrum has been ingested, it is safe to introduce the foal to Mare's Milk Plus™.
- Mare's Milk Plus™ should be mixed with cool tap water and stirred with a wire whisk.
- Mare's Milk Plus™ should be fed at room temperature and does not require warming prior to ingestion.
- Start by feeding your foal half of the recommended volume from the table and gradually increase the amount over the next 10 days until the recommended amount is reached. Always discard any milk not consumed prior to adding fresh.
- Mare’s Milk Plus™ should be mixed every 12 hours; however, a 24-hour supply can be mixed if necessary. One half can be fed and the other half covered and stored in a cool place until the next feeding (does not require refrigeration).
- Always keep equipment clean to avoid the risk of infection.
- Provide clean, fresh water at all times.
- Occasional diarrhea may occur in foals fed milk replacer. When this happens, reduce the amount of Mare’s Milk Plus™ by 25% and then gradually increase until the foal is consuming the recommended amount. If diarrhea persists, contact your veterinarian.
Recommended Daily Feeding Rate
Weight of Mare or
Expected Mature Weight of Foal
Mare's Milk Plus™ (c)
(fill enclosed cup to top)*
*enclosed cup measures 272 grams of Mare’s Milk Plus™
Recommended Feeding Program for Orphaned or Rejected Foals
|Age of Foal||BUCKEYE™ Nutrition Product Name|
|1-60 days||Mare's Milk Plus™|
|10-120 days||Foal Starter™|
|> 120 days||GRO 'N WIN™ or Growth|
For foals maturing to 1,000-1,500 pounds:
- One 40 lb bag of Mare’s Milk Plus™ will last approximately 5.5-8 days
Dried Whey Protein Concentrate, Dried Whey, Dried Whey Product, Animal and Vegetable Fat (Preserved with BHA and BHT), Citric Acid, Potassium Sorbate (Preservative), L-Lysine Monohydrochloride, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Lecithin, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbyl Phosphate, Choline Chloride, Folic Acid, Manganese Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate, Zinc Polysaccharide Complex, Iron Polysaccharide Complex, Copper Polysaccharide Complex, Manganese Polysaccharide Complex, Cobalt Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Niacinamide, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Sodium Silico Aluminate, Mono and Diglycerides of Edible Fats or Oils, Artificial Flavor.